The current issue of Inc. features a terrific piece called “How I Got Started,” which showcases words of wisdom from some of the world’s most influential entrepreneurs. While much of the advice is geared toward founders of start-ups, I found it useful for any manager at any stage of their company’s development, and wanted to share it with you. So here are five entrepreneurs and their words of wisdom:
- “Look for the opportunity no one else sees” – Bobbi Brown, founder and chief creative officer of Bobbi Brown Cosmetics
- “Find partners who believe in you”- Daymond John, co-founder and CEO of FUBU
- “When you mess up, come clean” – Robin Chase, founder of Zipcar and founder and CEO of Buzzcar
- “Eventually, you’ve got to say, JUST DO IT” – Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Group
- “Embrace your strengths (and hire around your weaknesses)” – Clive Davis, founder of Arista Records and chief creative officer of Sony Music Worldwide
Each author has a unique point of view about the path to success. What this says to me is that there is no wonder formula, no silver bullet that leads anyone to instant success. It is about discipline and rigor—both personally and professionally—as well as the art of business.